10 Tips for a Stress-Free Holiday Season
We all understand the importance of trying to maintain a healthy balance in our lives. The holidays, however, can put our best stress-busters to the test. Make sure to keep your holidays happy and healthy by following our ’10 Tips for a Stress-Free Holiday Season’!
1. Remember the Good-Ol’ Days – Use this time to reminisce about what you enjoyed during previous holidays and focus your attention on capturing the joy of holidays past.
2. Plan for Pleasure – Start with the date of your special event and work backwards through the calendar to organize your days and ensure every item receives attention.
3. Let Others Help – When making your list, check it twice for activities and items you can delegate to someone else. If they’re too busy and you don’t have enough time to complete it, consider dropping the action-item altogether.
4. Set a Budget – Just be sure to stick to it! Otherwise you will have defeated the purpose of creating the budget in the first place and can leave yourself open to feeling disappointed in your efforts.
5. Let Go of Perfection – Be realistic in the expectations of yourself and others. Only Norman Rockwell can fully capture the essence of his holiday season. Find enjoyment in the unique aspects of your family and friends.
6. Be True to You – You are in charge of your happiness. Only you can decide what you will and will not tolerate. Just like with the budget, set your boundaries and stick to them.
7. Treat Yourself Well – Try to schedule at least 12 minutes a day to be nice to you. Use this time to recharge and relax.
8. Reach Out – Holidays can be emotionally charged. Seek support from others who aren’t emotionally invested in your family dynamic. Phone a friend whom you know is ‘pro-you’ and talk to them. You’ll feel recharged again!
9. Reach Out Further – Volunteering at a local homeless shelter, or picking presents for a family in need are just a couple of ways to give so that it brings joy, not obligation. Tending to those less fortunate than you can also help you appreciate what you have a little more.
10. Maintain Your Momentum – ‘Throwing in the towel’ before the turkey is even in the oven can weigh you down. You can easily maximize your merriment by sticking to your year-round exercise and healthy-eating program.
This list of tips is just a sampling of suggestions to help keep your holiday season as stress-free as possible. ‘Tis the season to find pleasure and make memories. Choose what works for you and rejoice in the smallest of progress made.
The new year only offers opportunity. It’s our attitude and our actions that bring to fruition that which manifests as results.
From our Rehab family to yours, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!